Jim’s law enforcement career began when he served as an MP in the U.S. Army. Following his military service, Jim became a police officer with the Charlotte Mecklenburg Police Department where he served for 23 years climbing his way up to the rank of deputy chief. In 1994, Jim was elected Mecklenburg County Sheriff and served 13 years as the top law enforcement official in the county. In 2007, Jim was hired by U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement, a division of HomelandSecurity, as the first Executive Director of State and Local Coordination. Most recently, Jim was elected to the Mecklenburg County Commission as the top Republican voter getter.
As Sheriff, Jim cut spending more than 10% from our budget by privatizing medical, food and maintenance services. He issued the first concealed carry permit in North Carolina and is a staunch advocate and supporter of our 2nd Amendment right to bear arms.
Jim was the first sheriff on the east coast to implement the 287(g) program that has identified more than 13,000 criminal illegal aliens to be processed for deportation.Educating illegal aliens in Mecklenburg County alone costs local taxpayers approximately $100 million annually.
Jim also started several new programs to keep our families safe. Programs like the Sex Offenders Tracking Program for citizens to know the whereabouts of every registered sex offender, which has now been adopted by the state; the Domestic Violence Program, which must be completed by inmates incarcerated for these crimes before being released from custody; and the Victim Notification Program which notifies victims of domestic violence when the offender is about to be released from custody.
Jim is a graduate of Harvard University’s John F. Kennedy School of Government Courses for State and Local Officials. He has an Associate’s Degree in Criminal Justice and is a graduate of the FBI National Academy and FBI National Executive Institute.
Jim is past President of the N.C. Sheriffs’ Association and the N.C. Chapter of the FBI National Academy Associates. He has served in leadership positions with numerous other law enforcement associations, including the National Sheriffs’ Association and the International Association of Chiefs of Police. Jim was a founding member of the Major County Sheriffs’ Association and had just been elected Vice-President when he accepted the position with Homeland Security in 2007. He currently serves on an advisory board for the Major County Sheriffs’ Association.
Jim owns a consulting business in Charlotte, NC. A native of Charlotte, Jim and his wife Lori have three sons.
- In a Constitutional limited government
- Marriage is between one man and one woman
- We need to reduce taxes and regulations on small businesses to stimulate job growth
- In eliminating the inheritance tax entirely
- We need to create a level playing field that allows American business and industry to compete with foreign competition
- We need to stop sending billions of american tax dollars to countries that don’t like us
- In telling the american public the truth that we must reduce our national debt and that it will require both eliminating wasteful washington spending and personal sacrifice that will not be painless
- And support the line item veto
- In repealing Obama-care
- In securing our borders
- We must enforce our existing immigration laws
- In developing a coherent national energy policy that will support drilling for oil and natural gas in America (on and offshore)
- In developing a national strategy to deal with the reality of homegrown terrorism rather than continuing to pretend it does not exist
- And strongly support the 2nd Amendment Right to Bear Arms
- All life is sacred – and I support the right to life
- In school choice and in returning decision making power back to our local school boards